ICO Annual Conference 2022
The Irish College of Ophthalmologists Annual Conference 2022 will take place from noon Monday 16th to Wednesday 18th May 2022 at the Kilkenny Convention Centre, Lyrath Estate.
We are excited to be planning our reunion at what promises to be an excellent educational meeting. Symposia will include a clinical session on Ocular Surface Disease; a service delivery session on 'Planning for the Future' examining Medical Retina and Telemedicine/Virtual Review, IOP Clinics and Glaucoma Diagnostic Hubs; whilst a separate symposium focused on the Integrated Eye Care Team will highlight the model of eye care implementation at national, regional and community level.
A separate clinical session on Recent Clinical Trials in Glaucoma, Myopia and Retina is also planned.
The College is honoured to invite Prof Stanley Chang, K.K. Tse and Ku Teh Ying Professor of Ophthalmology, Columbia University, New York to present this year's Annual Mooney Lecture. A specialist in vitreoretinal disorders and surgery, Prof Chang has pioneered many of the surgical techniques currently used in this field.
Parallel workshop sessions on Ocular Movement and OCTA, in addition to the paper and poster sessions (ICO medal and prize presentations) and the SOE Young Ophthalmologist Lecture 2022 are just some of the many other highlights on this year's agenda!.
A parallel exhibition will run alongside the three-day scientific conference and the ICO wish to thank all our industry partners for their support at this years meeting.
Refreshments and Parallel Exhibition
Mr Tim Fulcher
Chairs: Prof Colm O'Brien, Mater Misericordiae University Hospital, Dublin and Dr Fiona Kearns, Beaumont Hospital, Dublin
Delivering Integrated Care in Ireland
Chair: Prof Colm O'Brien, Mater Misericordiae University Hospital, Dublin
The National Clinical Programme for Ophthalmology: Supporting the Delivery of Integrated Care
Establishment of a Novel Governance Structure to Transform, Integrate and Deploy Regional Eye Care - the virtual Accountable Care Organisation (vACO)
Eye Care in the non-Acute Setting
The Role of an Optometrist in a Multidisciplinary team.
Chairs: Mr John Doris, University Hospital Waterford and Prof Conor Murphy, Royal Victoria Eye and Ear Hospital, Dublin
Annual Mooney Lecture 2022
Introduction: Prof David Keegan
‘Improving the Outcomes of Surgery for Retinal Detachment’
Prof Stanley Chang
|8.00am||Breakfast Sponsored Session Neovascular AMD - Kindly supported by Bayer|
Ocular Surface Disease Symposium
Allergic eye disease: Myths, Mysteries and Modern medicine
Paediatric Ocular Surface Disease: JOMO to FOMO
Conjunctival Inflammation From Beyond! Diagnosis and Management of Cicatrising Conjunctival Disease.
Ménage à Trois: Sex, Sex Steroids and Dry Eye Disease.
ICO National Training Programme
Miss Yvonne Delaney
European Society of Ophthalmology (SOE) Lecture 2022
Introduction: Ms Patricia Logan
Oculoplastics and Orbit Today!
Irish College of Ophthalmologists Annual General Meeting
Chair: Mr Tim Fulcher, President, ICO
ICO Members Only
Recent Clinical Trials
Chairs: Ms Janice Brady and Dr Muhammed Akram, Waterford University Hospital
The Treatment of Advanced Glaucoma Study - Outcomes at 24 months
Clinical trials – trials and tribulations of using the results in everyday practice
Ocular Motility Workshop
Seeing is Believing
OCT Angiography in practice
Sponsored Session Uveitis Challenges - Kindly supported by Alimera Sciences
Planning for the Future
Chair: Mr Tim Fulcher, Mater Misericordiae University Hospital, Dublin
The idiosyncrasies of Telemedicine in Ophthalmology
Transitioning Stable Glaucoma Care to the Community
Set up and safe assessment of diagnostic (virtual) clinic pathways
Transitioning Emergency Eyecare During the Pandemic
Chair: Ms Niamh Collins, Mater Private Hospital, Cork and Dr Geraldine Comer, The Galway Clinic, Galway
Presentation of 2022 ICO Medals
Sir William Wilde Medal for Best Poster
Barbara Knox Medal for Best Paper
John Blake Medal for Best Scientific Research Paper
ICO Annual Conference 2022 Posters
- An Uncommon Source of Insidious Ocular Toxicity.
- Post-partum haemorrhage associated choroidopathy: https://casereports.bmj.com/content/15/3/e249226
- Cataractous Intraocular Lens Implants.
- Childhood strabismus patterns in North-West Ireland, a ten years review
- Analysis of Cataract Referrals from Community Optometrists and General Practitioners and Subsequent Clinic Visit Outcomes in a University Hospital in The West of Ireland
- Ataxia with a lot of retinal nerves!
Aine Ní Mhealoid
- Audit of Outcomes Following Attendance at the CityWest Drive Through IOP Glaucoma Clinic during the COVID-19 Pandemic
- Novel potential nuclear genetic modifier in Leber Hereditary Optic Neuropathy in Wolfram Syndrome-associated variant WFS-1 c.799G>A
- Complex penetrating eye injury with intra-scleral foreign body; staged surgical management
- Candidaemia and the eye - should we really be screening everyone?
- Poppers retinopathy
Jay Jun Lee
- Exercise induced Cluster Migraine with Visual disturbance
- Posterior staphyloma in the absence of high myopia
- Ocular oncology service during the COVID-19 outbreak: uveal melanoma characteristics presenting in 2019 compared to 2020
- Leber's Miliary aneurysms
- The Impact of Covid-19 on the attendance rate to the eye casualty in Cork University Hospital
- Incidence of Posterior Capsule Rupture (PCR) and Post-PCR Complications in CUH (January 2019 - December 2019)
- A comparison of outcomes between conventional cyclodiode laser (CL) and micropulse cyclodiode transcleral photocoagulation (MP-TSCPC) in the reduction of intraocular pressure (IOP) in patients with glaucoma.
- A rare choroidal metastasis of unknown origin
- Addressing Technical Failures in a Diabetic Retinopathy Screening Programme
- The impact of the National Diabetic Retinal Screening Programme on the training of Ophthalmology Trainees in the performance of diabetic laser procedures.
- Central Retinal Vein Occlusion- Four-year follow up of a patient with a poor presenting visual acuity
- The implementation of a logbook for the documentation of telephone consultations for on-call NCHDs.
- Eikenella corrodens canaliculitis. A case report.
- A review of the ‘long waiters’ for ophthalmology outpatient services in Cork University Hospital and its impact on planning for the new Integrated Eye Care Team
Rubeena N Shaffi
- Evaluating the Efficiency of the Irish National Diabetic Retinal Screening Service's Treatment Pathway
- Adherence of patients with age-related macular degeneration to AREDS 2-recommended vitamin supplements
- Anatomical and Visual Outcomes of Full-Thickness Macular Hole Repair Surgery
- Investigating inner blood retinal barrier integrity in rare neurological disorders
- Bing there, done that! Just another GCA Case?
Aine Ní Mhealoid
- Review of The Eye Clinic Liaison Service (ECLO)
- Analysis of Metformins effect on Human Glaucomatous Lamina Cribrosa cells
- Congenital free floating pigmented Vitreous Cyst
Jay Jun Lee
- A focus on ocular parameters and their impact on quality of life measures in patients with Primary Sjögrens Syndrome
- A case report of paediatric Vogt Koyanagi Harada(VKH) treated successfully with adalimumab (Humira)
- Evaluating Medical Students Experience of Near-Peer Led Teaching in Ophthalmology
- Review of Prescribing Practices in University Hospital Limerick Ophthalmology Department
- Xen Gel Stents – The Cork University Hospital experience
- 12-year analysis of the microbiological profile of infectious keratitis (IK) in an Irish tertiary hospital.
- Clinical and Genetic Re-Evaluation of Inherited Retinal Degeneration Pedigrees following Initial Negative Findings on Panel-Based Next Generation Sequencing
- 2.5-year analysis of photo-dynamic therapy for chronic central serous chorioretinopathy in an Irish tertiary hospital.
- Effectiveness, Capacity And Referral Patterns Of Ophthalmology Consultations In A Non-Emergency Service Provision Hospital
- Case Study: The boy with the eyesore tattoo.
- Retinoblastoma in Ireland - A Review of the Caseload, Genotyping and Molecular Profiles of Patients over the Past 20 Years.
- Internuclear ophthalmoplegia secondary to ischaemia in a young patient with ampiginous choroiditis
- Students experience and outcomes following a targeted, blended teaching module during their ophthalmology rotation
- Post-operative outcomes of MRSA positive patients who received intracameral Vancomycin during cataract surgery
- 12-month analysis of emergency argon laser retinopexy in an Irish tertiary hospital
- Anterior segment findings in patients with Multiple Myeloma treated with Belantamab
- Ocular manifestations of syphilis - a case series of six patients.
- Neurological complications of orbital cellulitis Beware!
- Cystoid Macular Oedema rates after Artisan versus Scleral Fixated Lens Implantation
- Moving Glaucoma Care into the Community - Experience from RVEEH and CH07
All photos ©Fáilte Ireland 2018