Information about the College & Mission Statement
Established in 1991, the Irish College of Ophthalmologists (ICO) is the recognised training and professional body for medical and surgical eye doctors in Ireland.
Our overarching mission is to advance developments and improvements in eye health and patient safety by:
Providing the highest standards of excellence in the training and on-going education of Eye Doctors and other Medical Practitioners ; Advocating on behalf of patients role through policy guidance to Government, Health Care Providers and State Agencies; Collaborating with patient support groups on our shared goals ;
Educating the public to help increase awareness of good eye care practices.
Our goal, in line with the WHO objectives of Vision 2020, is to work towards eliminating the 75% of cases which result in preventable blindness by 2020
The College represents over 200 eye doctors in Ireland.
Council / Staff / Committee
Honorary Officers of the College
- President Mr William Power
- Vice President Miss Marie Hickey Dwyer
- President Elect Dr Alison Blake
- Honorary Treasurer Mr Mark Cahill
- Honorary Secretary Dr Patricia Quinlan
The Council of the College are elected for a three year term by the qualifying members of the College
Current members of Council:
- John Stokes
- Dara Kilmartin
- Jeremy O Connor
- Fiona Kearns
- Richard Comer
Clinical Lead for National Clinical Programme in Ophthalmology: William Power
Dean of Post Graduate Education: Yvonne Delaney
Programme Director for Surgical Training; Gerry Fahy
The College has several committees that address the business of the College incl;
- Manpower, Education & Training Committee; Chair Gerry Fahy. Committee members; Marie Hickey-Dwyer, Donal Brosnahan, Ian Flitcroft, Yvonne Delaney, Stephen Farrell, Eamon O'Connell, Billy Power, Deirdre Townley, Alison Blake, Conor Murphy, Maedbh Rhatigan.
- Medical Ophthalmologists Committee; Chair Fiona Kearns. Committee members; Alison Blake, Catherine McCrann, Iain Harrison, Garry Treacy, Grace O'Malley, Margaret Morgan, Paddy Condon, John Traynor, John Smith, Susan Mullaney, Geraldine Comer, Sacha Hutchinson, Joanne Kearney, Loretta Nolan.
- Ethics Committee; Chair Patricia Quinlan. Committee members; Paddy Condon, Louis Collum, Marc Guerin, Patricia McGettrick, Lisa McAnena
- Scientific and Continuing Professional Development Committee; Chair Jeremy O Connor. Committee members; Billy Power, Denise Curtin, Geraldine Comer, Eugene Ng
- CEO; Ms Siobhan Kelly 01 402 2777 firstname.lastname@example.org
- Dean of Postgraduate Education; Yvonne Delaney email@example.com
- Clinical Lead for National Clinical Prpgramme in Ophthalmology; William Power firstname.lastname@example.org
- Administrator; Mrs Marian Scully 01 402 8535 email@example.com
- Communications Manager; Ms Ciara Keenan 01 402 2777 / 086 369 4427 firstname.lastname@example.org