Information about the College & Mission Statement
Established in 1991, the Irish College of Ophthalmologists (ICO) is the recognised training and professional body for medical and surgical eye doctors in Ireland.
Our overarching mission is to advance developments and improvements in eye health and patient safety by:
Providing the highest standards of excellence in the training and on-going education of Eye Doctors and other Medical Practitioners ; Advocating on behalf of patients through policy guidance to Government, Health Care Providers and State Agencies; Collaborating with patient support groups on our shared goals ;
Educating the public to help increase awareness of good eye care practices.
Our goal, in line with the WHO objectives of Vision 2020, is to work towards eliminating the 75% of cases which result in preventable blindness by 2020
The College represents over 200 eye doctors in Ireland.
Council / Staff / Committee
Honorary Officers of the College
- President Patricia Quinlan
- Vice President Alison Blake
- President Elect Tim Fulcher
- Honorary Treasurer Mark Cahill
- Honorary Secretary Maureen Hillery
The Council of the College are elected for a three year term by the qualifying members of the College
Current members of Council:
Marie Hickey Dwyer
Clinical Lead for National Clinical Programme in Ophthalmology: William Power
Dean of Post Graduate Education: Yvonne Delaney
Programme Director for Surgical Training; Gerry Fahy
The College has several committees that address the business of the College incl;
- Manpower, Education, Research & Training Committee; Chair Kathryn McCreery. Committee members; Conor Murphy, Fiona Kearns, Zubair Idrees, Ian Flitcroft, Donal Brosnahan, John Stokes, Deirdre Townley, Marie Hickey Dwyer, Yvonne Delaney, Shauna Quinn, Olya Scannell, Robert Brady, Emily Hughes, Alison Blake, Christine Bourke, Maureen Hillery.
- Medical Ophthalmologists Committee; Chair Joanne Kearney. Committee members; Catherine McCrann, Garry Treacy, Grace O'Malley, Margaret Morgan, John Traynor, John Smith, Susan Mullaney, Fatima Hamroush, Geraldine Comer, Sacha Hutchinson, Loretta Nolan.
- Ethics Committee; Chair Maureen Hillery. Committee members; Paddy Condon, Louis Collum, Patricia McGettrick, Patricia Quinlan.
- Scientific and Continuing Professional Development Committee; Chair John Doris. Committee members; Denise Curtin, Geraldine Comer, Eugene Ng, Maureen Hillery, Alison Blake
- Zubair Idrees (Cork University Hospital)
- Ian Flitcroft (Mater Misericordiae University Hospital)
- Donal Brosnahan (Royal Victoria Eye and Ear Hospital, Dublin)
- John Stokes (University Hospital Waterford)
- Deirdre Townley (Galway University Hospital)
- Marie Hickey Dwyer (University Hospital Limerick)
- Shauna Quinn (Sligo University Hospital)
- CEO; Siobhan Kelly 01 402 2777 email@example.com
- Dean of Postgraduate Education; Miss Yvonne Delaney firstname.lastname@example.org
- Clinical Lead for National Clinical Programme in Ophthalmology; Professor William Power email@example.com
- Administrator; Marian Scully 01 402 8535 firstname.lastname@example.org
- Training Programme Manager: Rob Tracey 01 402 2777 email@example.com
- Business Process Improvement: Niamh Coen 01 402 2777 firstname.lastname@example.org
- Communications Manager; Ciara Keenan 01 402 2777 / 086 369 4427 email@example.com