Information about the College & Mission Statement
Established in 1991, the Irish College of Ophthalmologists (ICO) is the recognised training and professional body for medical and surgical eye doctors in Ireland.
Our overarching mission is to advance developments and improvements in eye health and patient safety by:
Providing the highest standards of excellence in the training and on-going education of Eye Doctors and other Medical Practitioners
Advocating on behalf of patients through policy guidance to Government, Health Care Providers and State Agencies
Collaborating with patient support groups on our shared goals
Educating the public to help increase awareness of good eye care practices
The College represents over 200 eye doctors in Ireland.
Council / Personnel / Committee
Honorary Officers of the College
- President Patricia Quinlan
- Vice President Alison Blake
- President Elect Tim Fulcher
- Honorary Treasurer Mark Cahill
- Honorary Secretary Maureen Hillery
The Council of the College are elected for a three year term by the qualifying members of the College
Current members of Council:
Marie Hickey Dwyer
Ex Officio Members
Clinical Lead for National Clinical Programme in Ophthalmology: William Power
Dean of Post Graduate Education: Yvonne Delaney
Medical Ophthalmology Representative: Fiona Kearns
The College has several committees that address the business of the College incl;
- Manpower, Education, Research & Training Committee; Chair Kathryn McCreery. Committee members; Conor Murphy, Fiona Kearns, Zubair Idrees, Ian Flitcroft, Donal Brosnahan, John Stokes, Deirdre Townley, Marie Hickey Dwyer, Yvonne Delaney, Shauna Quinn, Emily Hughes, Alison Blake, Christine Bourke, Patricia Quinlan, Patrick Murtagh Maureen Hillery.
- Medical Ophthalmologists Committee; Chair Joanne Kearney. Committee members; Susan Kelly, Maureen Hillary, Fiona Kearns, Catherine McCrann, Garry Treacy, Grace O'Malley, Margaret Morgan, John Traynor, John Smith, Susan Mullaney, Geraldine Comer, Sacha Hutchinson, Loretta Nolan.
- Ethics Committee; Chair Maureen Hillery. Committee members; Paddy Condon, Louis Collum, Patricia McGettrick, Patricia Quinlan, Grace O'Malley and Sean Chen.
- Scientific and Continuing Professional Development Committee; Chair John Doris. Committee members; Denise Curtin, Geraldine Comer, Eugene Ng, Maureen Hillery, Alison Blake
- Zubair Idrees (Cork University Hospital)
- Ian Flitcroft (Mater Misericordiae University Hospital)
- Edward Loane (Royal Victoria Eye and Ear Hospital, Dublin)
- John Stokes (University Hospital Waterford)
- Deirdre Townley (Galway University Hospital)
- Marie Hickey Dwyer (University Hospital Limerick)
- Shauna Quinn (Sligo University Hospital)
- CEO; Siobhan Kelly 01 402 2777 firstname.lastname@example.org
- Dean of Postgraduate Education; Miss Yvonne Delaney email@example.com
- Clinical Lead for National Clinical Programme in Ophthalmology; Professor William Power firstname.lastname@example.org
- Administrator; Marian Scully 01 402 2777 email@example.com
- Training Programme Manager: Rebecca Martin 01 402 2777 firstname.lastname@example.org
- Business Process Improvement: Niamh Coen 01 402 2777 email@example.com
- Communications Manager; Ciara Keenan 01 402 2777 / 086 369 4427 firstname.lastname@example.org